Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Milestones (at 6 Months)

I wasn't sure how Alara's hand (or lack there of) would affect she reaching "typical" milestones. I know what to expect and when to expect (for the most part, as I also know how each child is an individual at meets their own milestones in their own time) them for "typical" children. I've done this before with my older children. I thought there may be some delays, or more "difficulties", in some aspects. Like sitting- most of my older babies used both hands to hold themselves up, at first. But with Alara's one arm missing her hand, and because of it, being shorter, I thought maybe it'd take her a bit longer to find her balance. Another crawling, I thought maybe she'd adapt and find an a-typical way of going about it. I mean, I thought it may hurt her or be uncomfortable, to lean all her weight onto her nub. (Kind of like me kneeling on my bad knees- I can but try not to because it gets sore fast.)

BUT she's passing up everything I'd thought!

Here's her list of Can-dos at/by 6 months:
(some of these would never have been affected, I just including all the milestones I can think of since birth.)

Smiling "real" smiles- 1 week (YES! not those "gas" ones everyone tries to convince you they are, but real "light up when she saw you" smiles.)

Giggles- 8 weeks

Started babbling- 12 weeks

Rolled from tummy to back- 2 months

Found hands- 2 months

Rolled from back to tummy- 3 months

Found feet- 3 months

Hold own weight when standing- 4 months

Sat propped- 5 months

Sat alone- 6 months

Scoot (backwards)- 5 months

Scoot (forwards)- 6 months

Got into sitting from tummy- 6.5 months

Up on all 4s- 6 months

Crawling forward- 6.5 months

Pull up to knees (from tummy)- 6.5 months

Feed self- we tried this at 5.5 months but she can't quiet keep ahold of the food yet and has a hard time picking it back up when she drops it, so we've started using one of those mesh handled feeder things and she's doing great with it. (Note: we are not fans of "baby" food, and use baby led solids/self feeding in our family.)

Hold a bottle- 5.5 months She holds it in place for short times but then it starts to tip to her right. (She has her left had.)

Pick up small "objects" (like a piece of dirt off the floor! LOL)- 6.5 months

Pass object from one hand to other- obviously this is something she can't to exactly and has to adapt to- she can grab something out of her right arm with her left hand. And she's also started raking things with her right arm over to her left hand (while laying on the floor, or seated at a surface) to pick up. 6 months

 Also not on typical charts- since about 3 months old she has grabbed things out of reach with her feet and brought them to her hand.





So as you can see she's adapting. I am completely blown away on a daily basis. She so wants to be up and running with her brothers and I don't doubt she won't be soon!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment